Recently I ran in a bug in our AHA application on IE 6. Coming to the terms with testing across multiple browsers is a painful realization of the evils of web development. I tried several ways by which i can install IE 6 on my Vista machine, including tricky thing like DLL redirection. But this is way too painful - however I stumbled on a sweet way of doing application compatibility tests - virtual pc!!

Here is the cook-book way to get different version of IE for compatibility tests -

  1. Deploy your application on a staging server
  2. Install Virtual PC 2007 (it works on Vista)
  3. Get the IE testing images from here.

One downside of this approach is that you cannot step into and debug you application because virtual pc is a painful to configure for running on your corporate LAN :(.